• Privacy Policy
  • Terms
  • About us
  • Contact Us
  • Staff Email
Sunday, November 30, 2025
  • Login
TheMattersPress
  • Home
  • News
  • Features
  • Thematterspress
  • Multimedia
    • Audio
    • Photo
    • Video
  • About us
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Features
  • Thematterspress
  • Multimedia
    • Audio
    • Photo
    • Video
  • About us
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
TheMattersPress
No Result
View All Result
Home News

Don’t grant visa to Atiku, FG urges U.S

The Matters Press by The Matters Press
November 29, 2018
Reading Time: 3 mins read
0
Southeast, Southwest worry over Atiku’s six-year policy plan

Atiku Abubakar

Atiku Abubakar

The Federal Government has advised the U.S. to be cautious in issuing visa to PDP’s Presidential candidate, Alhaji Atiku Abubakar, who had been denied the privilege for many years.

RELATED POSTS

Tinubu’s emergency pronouncement, continuation of efforts to review security architecture – TMSG

Tinubu Wins Big in Nigeria-U.S. Diplomatic Rapprochement – TDF ‎

Nigeria takes more measures to boost security

Government said it is aware that Atiku has been lobbying to be issued the visa.

The government said it was concerned in order not to create the impression of endorsing the candidate for the 2019 election by the U.S.

The Minister of Information and Culture, Alhaji Lai Mohammed, gave the government position at an interactive session with media executives in Abuja on Thursday.

Mohammed said that the government was aware of the move by the former Vice President to lobby the U.S. to lift the visa ban imposed on him.

He said, while the U.S. has the prerogative of whom to issue visa, it should be mindful of the timing, in order not to give the impression that Atiku has been endorsed by the U.S. government.

“We understand and appreciate the fact that it is the prerogative of the U.S. to grant a visa to anyone who applies.

“However, we want the U.S. to be neutral and be wary of taking any decision that will give the impression that they are favouring or endorsing one candidate over the other

“Impression must not be created that the U.S. government is endorsing one particular candidate over the other,’’ he said.

The minister recalled that for years, there has been a kind of congressional bi-partisan investigation on corruption against certain individuals which had made it difficult for Atiku to secure a U.S. visa.

“I am sure you will all recall the Jefferson’s case and the cold 90,000 U.S. dollar in fridge.

“We are not unaware that Atiku has engaged the services of some lobbyists to persuade the U.S. to issue visa to him.

“Our position is that if the former Vice President is seeking the U.S. visa we have no problem about it.

“However, we want the U.S. government not to create the impression that it is endorsing one candidate over the other,’’ he said.

Speaking on security, the minister insisted that despite the recent set back brought about by attacks on the military, the Boko Haram insurgents had been largely decimated.

He recalled that when they took over in 2015, Boko Haram was active in 10 states including the FCT where they chose where and when to attack

The minister said that 20 of the 27 Local Government Areas in Borno were under the insurgents where they hoisted their flags collected taxes and deposed the Emirs.

He said since they took over, no inch of Nigeria territory is under the control of the insurgents who now operated in the fringes –Lake Chad Island- to launch guerilla attacks.

“What happened was a set-back and it is not enough to say that we are losing the war against the Boko Haram.

“We want to appreciate the gallant military who are sacrificing day and night and those who have lost their lives to protect Nigeria’s sovereignty,’’ he said.

The Minister added that the visit of President Muhammadu Buhari to Borno and his ongoing visit to Chad were indications of renewed vigour to end the war.

Mohammed also denied the allegations that the government was closing media space against the opposition.

On the arrest of Deji Adeyanju, convener of Concerned Nigerians by the Police, the minister noted that “being an activist or in the opposition does not protect anyone from arrest and prosecution’’.

He said the case had been charged to court and it would be prejudicial to make further comments on it.

Tags: AtikuVisa
ShareTweetPin
The Matters Press

The Matters Press

Related Posts

Group hails Presidential Council initiative, welcomes President Tinubu’s N2tn stabilisation package
Economy/Technology

Tinubu’s emergency pronouncement, continuation of efforts to review security architecture – TMSG

November 29, 2025
‎Genocide claims: Trump’s CPC decision on Nigeria based on jaundiced, obtrusive data-IMPI ‎ ‎
Economy/Technology

Tinubu Wins Big in Nigeria-U.S. Diplomatic Rapprochement – TDF ‎

November 27, 2025
Nigerians to own brand new vehicles, goods through new credit scheme initiative
Economy/Technology

Nigeria takes more measures to boost security

November 27, 2025
Presidential aides hail IMPI’s boss, Akinsiju at 63, commend his role in advancing Nigeria’s reform.
News

Presidential aides hail IMPI’s boss, Akinsiju at 63, commend his role in advancing Nigeria’s reform.

November 22, 2025
Features

‎‎IMPI links Nigeria’s PMI to inflation decline, insists on 14% year-end projection ‎

November 21, 2025
Supreme Court voids Executive Order 10, hard time awaits institutions
News

Court labels Nnamdi Kanu ‘international terrorist

November 21, 2025
Next Post
Access to water, toilets must be priority

Access to water, toilets must be priority

Buhari returns from Chad, urges action against insurgents

Buhari returns from Chad, urges action against insurgents

Recommended Stories

Nigeria, India agree to strengthen economic, defence, digital, health ties

Nigeria, India agree to strengthen economic, defence, digital, health ties

November 17, 2024
SMEs in Africa take more loans as global peers wean off debt

N500m SMEs loan facility for 2,100 business owners

February 7, 2024
Jaiz Bank expands with new branches

CBN redesigns naira, begins circulation Dec. 15

October 26, 2022

Popular Stories

  • Rising prices of goods cause protests in Morocco

    Rising prices of goods cause protests in Morocco

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NLNG not responsible for gas supply shortfall, price hike

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NCC sets fresh operational fees, spectrum prices for telecom operators

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Hoarding causes hike in prices of grains

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Prices of Petrol, diesel increase in November

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
TheMattersPress

We bring you the best news update in Nigeria

LEARN MORE »

Recent Posts

  • Tinubu’s emergency pronouncement, continuation of efforts to review security architecture – TMSG
  • Tinubu Wins Big in Nigeria-U.S. Diplomatic Rapprochement – TDF ‎
  • Nigeria takes more measures to boost security

Categories

  • Agriculture
  • Economy/Technology
  • Energy
  • Entertainment/sports
  • Features
  • Foreign
  • Multimedia
  • Natural Resources
  • News
  • Oil and Gas
  • Photo
  • Politics
  • Security
  • Thematterspress
  • Uncategorized
  • Video

© 2025 Domo Tech World - Powered by Thematterspress.

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Features
  • Thematterspress
  • Multimedia
    • Audio
    • Photo
    • Video
  • About us
  • Contact Us

© 2025 Domo Tech World - Powered by Thematterspress.

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
Call Us