• Privacy Policy
  • Terms
  • About us
  • Contact Us
  • Staff Email
Friday, August 29, 2025
  • Login
TheMattersPress
  • Home
  • News
  • Features
  • Thematterspress
  • Multimedia
    • Audio
    • Photo
    • Video
  • About us
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Features
  • Thematterspress
  • Multimedia
    • Audio
    • Photo
    • Video
  • About us
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
TheMattersPress
No Result
View All Result
Home Economy/Technology

Nigeria, World Bank extend cash transfer initiative by 2 years

Cash

The Matters Press by The Matters Press
April 7, 2022
Reading Time: 2 mins read
0
Jaiz Bank expands with new branches

Naira

The Federal Government, through its Ministry of Humanitarian Affairs, Disaster Management and Social Development, says it has agreed with the World Bank to extend the Conditional Cash Transfer Programme (CCT) by another two years.

RELATED POSTS

‎TMSG welcomes halt in oil theft on pipelines taking crude to export terminals

‎Group dismisses Obasanjo’s labelling of Tinubu’s administration as inefficient

Tinubu succeeding where Obasanjo failed woefully, says TMSG

Mr Apera Iorwa, the National Coordinator, National Social Safety-Nets Coordinating Office (NASSCO), Ministry of Humanitarian Affairs, Disaster Management and Social Development, made this known on Thursday in Lagos.

This was during the World Bank Support Mission on Implementation of National Social Safety Nets Project (NASSP) and Engagement with Stakeholders in Lagos State.

Iorwa said that the CCT programme was designed to benefit poor and vulnerable households with a monthly stipend of N5,000.

He said that the programme was supposed to end on June 30, but had to be extended to accommodate more indigent households.

”Largely, it is first attributed to the success of the programme. We had a target of identifying four million households, today we have identified 11 million households, made up of about 46 million individuals, which is by far the most comprehensive database of individuals in our country.

”Secondly, the programme has been embraced by state governments, especially Lagos State, which has not only embraced the programme, but has established it as a department.

”Now, this has created some level of confidence and belief in the capacity of the programme. The federal government approached the World Bank because of the economic shocks occasioned by the rising cost of living, high rates of inflation to expand this cash transfer.

”It was expanded from two million to 10.2 million, that’s additional 8.2 million in families, for Lagos state, we are expanding it from only 10,000 to 295,000 poor and vulnerable households,” the national coordinator said.

The Lagos State Commissioner for Wealth Creation and Employment, Mrs Yetunde Arobieke, said that though the cash transfer programme had been on since, it was only during the Gov. Babajide Sanwo-Olu’s administration, that the state was able to key into it.

Arobieke said that it would therefore be unfair if all the local governments are not covered, hence, the need to continue with the programme.

”I am elated to disclose that this bi-monthly stipends for 10,985 Lagos State beneficiaries have impacted greatly on them.

”It has smoothened the household consumption, improved school enrolment and attendance, encouraged financial and asset acquisition, as well as group formation and savings,” she said.

The Commissioner urged beneficiaries not to use the stipends for frivolous things, but to used it to better the lot of their families.

Mr Olujumi Ige, the Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Wealth Creation and Employment, said that the beneficiaries were being sensitised on ways to use the money and some of them had even created savings account among themselves.

”I am sure by now, they have about N5 million in savings, that they can fall back to take, just like forming cooperatives for themselves.

”The economic benefit to the state is enormous as well, because we find that there will be a multiplier effect of this money in the economy of the Lagos State.”

One of the beneficiaries, Mr Oladipupo Kayode, from Epe, said that the programme had been very helpful, as it had helped to restore hope for the indigents.

”So far, it is a good programme, because many have already lost hope, especially during the lockdown, but along the line the programme came up.”

Tags: Cash
ShareTweetPin
The Matters Press

The Matters Press

Related Posts

Nigeria regains top crude oil production spot in Africa
Energy

‎TMSG welcomes halt in oil theft on pipelines taking crude to export terminals

August 28, 2025
Who is lying, Obasanjo or NAN?
News

‎Group dismisses Obasanjo’s labelling of Tinubu’s administration as inefficient

August 28, 2025
Obasanjo campaigns for AfCFTA
News

Tinubu succeeding where Obasanjo failed woefully, says TMSG

August 28, 2025
Tinubu explains mission as he marks second year in office
Economy/Technology

‎Tinubu in fresh ideas to grassroots-development using 8,809 wards initiative – TMSG ‎

August 9, 2025
Obi, PDP candidate advises Buhari to increase tempo
Economy/Technology

‎Obi’s One-Term Proposal, a gambit to grab power at all costs -Group ‎

August 7, 2025
Importers face delays, higher costs on Red Sea woes
Economy/Technology

National Single Window initiative, a major step for efficient cross-border trade – TMSG

August 4, 2025
Next Post
South East rail in progress, Amaechi assures Igbo

Lagos-Calabar rail for inauguration September

Nigeria in deal with firm to facilitate funding for houses

Nigeria completes 2,465 housing units

Recommended Stories

Firms bid for Ajaokuta steel

Ajaokuta Steel to create additional 500,000 jobs

January 2, 2023
Swiss Bank expects profit of $50bn

OPEC reports decrease in Dollar index by 1.6%

August 12, 2023
Nigeria launches five-year plan to rescue economy

Nigeria to launch Investment Policy

November 18, 2020

Popular Stories

  • Rising prices of goods cause protests in Morocco

    Rising prices of goods cause protests in Morocco

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NLNG not responsible for gas supply shortfall, price hike

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NCC sets fresh operational fees, spectrum prices for telecom operators

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Hoarding causes hike in prices of grains

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Prices of Petrol, diesel increase in November

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
TheMattersPress

We bring you the best news update in Nigeria

LEARN MORE »

Recent Posts

  • ‎TMSG welcomes halt in oil theft on pipelines taking crude to export terminals
  • ‎Group dismisses Obasanjo’s labelling of Tinubu’s administration as inefficient
  • Tinubu succeeding where Obasanjo failed woefully, says TMSG

Categories

  • Agriculture
  • Economy/Technology
  • Energy
  • Entertainment/sports
  • Features
  • Foreign
  • Multimedia
  • Natural Resources
  • News
  • Oil and Gas
  • Photo
  • Politics
  • Security
  • Thematterspress
  • Uncategorized
  • Video

© 2025 Domo Tech World - Powered by Thematterspress.

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Features
  • Thematterspress
  • Multimedia
    • Audio
    • Photo
    • Video
  • About us
  • Contact Us

© 2025 Domo Tech World - Powered by Thematterspress.

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
Call Us