• Privacy Policy
  • Terms
  • About us
  • Contact Us
  • Staff Email
Friday, August 29, 2025
  • Login
TheMattersPress
  • Home
  • News
  • Features
  • Thematterspress
  • Multimedia
    • Audio
    • Photo
    • Video
  • About us
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Features
  • Thematterspress
  • Multimedia
    • Audio
    • Photo
    • Video
  • About us
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
TheMattersPress
No Result
View All Result
Home Economy/Technology

Group hails Nigeria’s moves to end 28 year-long oil well controversy to attract more foreign investments

Oil Well

The Matters Press by The Matters Press
February 4, 2024
Reading Time: 2 mins read
0
Group bemoans level of crude oil theft

The Independent Media and Policy Initiative (IMPI) has described the decision taken by Nigeria to settle the long-drawn dispute over the controversial Oil Prospecting Licence OPL 245 as a welcome intervention in government-corporate entanglements.

RELATED POSTS

‎TMSG welcomes halt in oil theft on pipelines taking crude to export terminals

‎Group dismisses Obasanjo’s labelling of Tinubu’s administration as inefficient

Tinubu succeeding where Obasanjo failed woefully, says TMSG

It said in a statement signed by its Chairman, Niyi Akinsiju, that President Bola Tinubu acted in the national interest based on the potential economic benefits of developing the oil block.

This according to the policy group is because OPL 245 holds a total estimated value of 9 billion barrels of crude which Nigeria has not been able to exploit or benefit from since 1998 when it was first sold in controversial manner to Malabu Oil and Gas.

“Like many Nigerians, we are familiar with the history of its controversial sale in August 1998 on the watch of the late Head of State, General Sani Abacha, to Malabu Oil and Gas, a company owned by the then former Petroleum Resources Minister, Dan Etete.
“Since that sale, the transaction has remained the subject of various litigations starting with the administration of former President Olusegun Obasanjo, in 2001, who terminated the sale and, in turn, handed it to Shell without a public bid.

“This, rather than resolve the matter, triggered a deluge of criticism and calls to redeem the transaction that now extended to Malabu on one hand, and Shell and the Italian firm, ENI on the other hand when the President Goodluck Jonathan administration facilitated a $1.3billion settlement among the different claimants to the ownership of the oil fields.

“The matter remained unresolved from the sovereign point of view upon which the administration of President Muhammadu Buhari initiated a legal challenge against the sale based on the suspicion of corruption in the $1.3bn settlement by Shell and ENI which was facilitated by the Nigerian Government. We, however, observed that beginning in 2023, there had been moves to terminate the case in court.” IMPI added.

The group was emphatic that a negotiated settlement is the best option opened to the country after suffering huge losses in legal disputes across the world.

“It is against this backdrop that we welcome the President’s approval of a negotiated settlement in order to pave way for oil prospecting in the lucrative oil block that has been described as one of Africa’s juiciest but which had been idle for nearly 30 years despite holding billions of barrels of crude oil.

“This will go a long way in boosting the country’s daily crude and gas production output, meaning more revenue at a time the country has, for years, been struggling to meet its OPEC quota.

“It is our considered opinion that a negotiated settlement is a far better option than continuing with long drawn legal disputes which the country spent huge resources on without success.

“What the President has approved is cost effective, and the benefits of crude and associated gas deposits estimated at nine billion barrels is massive in a country yearning for more foreign investors.

“The earlier Nigeria begins to exploit OPL 245, the better in view of the country’s commitment to Net zero emissions based on the 2050 Global Energy Transition Plan timeline.

The policy group advised President Bola Tinubu to speed up the process of issuing an Oil Mining Licence (OML) to either of the two international oil companies or both in view of their reported interest in further developing the oil block.

It also urged the government to take concrete steps to ensure that licensing processes for oil blocks are done in a manner devoid of controversy.

Tags: Oil well
ShareTweetPin
The Matters Press

The Matters Press

Related Posts

Nigeria regains top crude oil production spot in Africa
Energy

‎TMSG welcomes halt in oil theft on pipelines taking crude to export terminals

August 28, 2025
Who is lying, Obasanjo or NAN?
News

‎Group dismisses Obasanjo’s labelling of Tinubu’s administration as inefficient

August 28, 2025
Obasanjo campaigns for AfCFTA
News

Tinubu succeeding where Obasanjo failed woefully, says TMSG

August 28, 2025
Tinubu explains mission as he marks second year in office
Economy/Technology

‎Tinubu in fresh ideas to grassroots-development using 8,809 wards initiative – TMSG ‎

August 9, 2025
Obi, PDP candidate advises Buhari to increase tempo
Economy/Technology

‎Obi’s One-Term Proposal, a gambit to grab power at all costs -Group ‎

August 7, 2025
Importers face delays, higher costs on Red Sea woes
Economy/Technology

National Single Window initiative, a major step for efficient cross-border trade – TMSG

August 4, 2025
Next Post
China’s commerce ministry to promote services trade

China, Nigeria collaborate for more Nigerian products in Chinese markets

Myanmar central bank revokes licenses of 13 forex companies

Forex inflow, import curtailment will strengthen Naira –Expert

Recommended Stories

Economists Challenge IMF on call for further VAT increase in Nigeria

Global economic growth to drop to 3.0% in 2023-24 – IMF

July 25, 2023
Nigeria gets AfDB’s $14m as member of ATI

Stakeholders commend AfDB, AUC, Africa50 on green Africa Initiative

June 24, 2023
Tinubu tells the world: Africa Does Not Wish to Replace Old Shackles With New Ones

Tinubu welcomes freedom for abducted school children

March 24, 2024

Popular Stories

  • Rising prices of goods cause protests in Morocco

    Rising prices of goods cause protests in Morocco

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NLNG not responsible for gas supply shortfall, price hike

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NCC sets fresh operational fees, spectrum prices for telecom operators

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Hoarding causes hike in prices of grains

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Prices of Petrol, diesel increase in November

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
TheMattersPress

We bring you the best news update in Nigeria

LEARN MORE »

Recent Posts

  • ‎TMSG welcomes halt in oil theft on pipelines taking crude to export terminals
  • ‎Group dismisses Obasanjo’s labelling of Tinubu’s administration as inefficient
  • Tinubu succeeding where Obasanjo failed woefully, says TMSG

Categories

  • Agriculture
  • Economy/Technology
  • Energy
  • Entertainment/sports
  • Features
  • Foreign
  • Multimedia
  • Natural Resources
  • News
  • Oil and Gas
  • Photo
  • Politics
  • Security
  • Thematterspress
  • Uncategorized
  • Video

© 2025 Domo Tech World - Powered by Thematterspress.

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Features
  • Thematterspress
  • Multimedia
    • Audio
    • Photo
    • Video
  • About us
  • Contact Us

© 2025 Domo Tech World - Powered by Thematterspress.

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
Call Us