• Privacy Policy
  • Terms
  • About us
  • Contact Us
  • Staff Email
Friday, August 29, 2025
  • Login
TheMattersPress
  • Home
  • News
  • Features
  • Thematterspress
  • Multimedia
    • Audio
    • Photo
    • Video
  • About us
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Features
  • Thematterspress
  • Multimedia
    • Audio
    • Photo
    • Video
  • About us
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
TheMattersPress
No Result
View All Result
Home News

Death toll in building collapse hits 36 as governor sets up probe panel

The Matters Press by The Matters Press
November 4, 2021
Reading Time: 2 mins read
0
Death toll in building collapse hits 36 as governor sets up probe panel

RELATED POSTS

‎TMSG welcomes halt in oil theft on pipelines taking crude to export terminals

‎Group dismisses Obasanjo’s labelling of Tinubu’s administration as inefficient

Tinubu succeeding where Obasanjo failed woefully, says TMSG

Mohammed Momoh

As the death toll from the collapsed 21-storey building in Lagos increased to 36 on Thursday, the state governor, Mr Babajide Sanwo-Olu, has constituted a six-man investigation team.

The National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) confirmed that 14 more bodies were on Thursday recovered from the rubble as the rescue operation enters the fourth day.

The death toll from the incident rose to 22 on Wednesday.

“So far, 36 people – 33 males and three female — have been confirmed dead, while there were nine survivors,” the Acting Coordinator of the Lagos Territorial Office of the NEMA, Mr Ibrahim Farinloye, said.

The survivors include one female and eight male as operation to rescue those trapped in the rubble of the 21-storey building which collapsed on Monday afternoon, trapping dozens of people is still ongoing.

Meanwhile, governor Sanwo-Olu who had earlier suspended the General Manager of the Lagos State Building Control Agency (LASBCA), Mr Gbolahan Oki, said the panel to probe the remote and immediate causes of the collapse of building has 30 days to submit its report.

Members of the panel include professional builder, town planner, structural engineer, and legal practitioners – all from the private sector.

The Chief Press Secretary to the Governor, Mr Gboyega Akosile, said the panel’s reference include ascertaining whether there was a compromise of the building codes by the developer, the contractor, and statutory regulatory agencies.

He reported that Governor Sanwon-Olu had an interaction with members of the families of the victims on Wednesday when he visited the site of the accidents.

The governor described the incident as “a monumental disaster”, hinting that mistakes must have been made in the process of developing the collapsed structure,

“We’ve promised to be open and carry out thorough investigation on the cause of the collapse. In that regard, I have set up a high-powered professional investigative panel whose membership consists of professionals outside of the government,’’ the governor said.

“The panel will be finding out who the culprits are. The investigation will start from the heads of regulatory agencies. Be rest assured that if there are other people that are found wanting in the course of investigation, everybody will face the full wrath of the law.

“Members of the panel are people of impeccable integrity and I will be signing an Executive Order to give the panel a legal backing.”

He said, “I express my deepest sympathy to the families of those that have been involved in this unfortunate incident. For the bodies recovered from the site, we are currently conducting systematic process of identifying them.’’

Tags: BuildingLagos
ShareTweetPin
The Matters Press

The Matters Press

Related Posts

Nigeria regains top crude oil production spot in Africa
Energy

‎TMSG welcomes halt in oil theft on pipelines taking crude to export terminals

August 28, 2025
Who is lying, Obasanjo or NAN?
News

‎Group dismisses Obasanjo’s labelling of Tinubu’s administration as inefficient

August 28, 2025
Obasanjo campaigns for AfCFTA
News

Tinubu succeeding where Obasanjo failed woefully, says TMSG

August 28, 2025
Tinubu explains mission as he marks second year in office
Economy/Technology

‎Tinubu in fresh ideas to grassroots-development using 8,809 wards initiative – TMSG ‎

August 9, 2025
Obi, PDP candidate advises Buhari to increase tempo
Economy/Technology

‎Obi’s One-Term Proposal, a gambit to grab power at all costs -Group ‎

August 7, 2025
Importers face delays, higher costs on Red Sea woes
Economy/Technology

National Single Window initiative, a major step for efficient cross-border trade – TMSG

August 4, 2025
Next Post
Central Bank, MTN resolve crisis

MTN Nigeria launches N89.99bn Series II, 10-Year 12.75% Fixed Rate Bonds

Mangal, Sinoma in deal for $600m cement factory

Mangal, Sinoma in deal for $600m cement factory

Recommended Stories

SMEs in Africa take more loans as global peers wean off debt

N500m SMEs loan facility for 2,100 business owners

February 7, 2024
Commission plans to liberate 38% illiterate Nigerians

Census: Era of proxy enumeration is over in Nigeria

March 3, 2025
China’s agricultural wholesale products prices continue to drop

ActionAid urges creation of Agriculture Emergency Fund

December 26, 2022

Popular Stories

  • Rising prices of goods cause protests in Morocco

    Rising prices of goods cause protests in Morocco

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NLNG not responsible for gas supply shortfall, price hike

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NCC sets fresh operational fees, spectrum prices for telecom operators

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Hoarding causes hike in prices of grains

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Prices of Petrol, diesel increase in November

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
TheMattersPress

We bring you the best news update in Nigeria

LEARN MORE »

Recent Posts

  • ‎TMSG welcomes halt in oil theft on pipelines taking crude to export terminals
  • ‎Group dismisses Obasanjo’s labelling of Tinubu’s administration as inefficient
  • Tinubu succeeding where Obasanjo failed woefully, says TMSG

Categories

  • Agriculture
  • Economy/Technology
  • Energy
  • Entertainment/sports
  • Features
  • Foreign
  • Multimedia
  • Natural Resources
  • News
  • Oil and Gas
  • Photo
  • Politics
  • Security
  • Thematterspress
  • Uncategorized
  • Video

© 2025 Domo Tech World - Powered by Thematterspress.

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Features
  • Thematterspress
  • Multimedia
    • Audio
    • Photo
    • Video
  • About us
  • Contact Us

© 2025 Domo Tech World - Powered by Thematterspress.

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
Call Us