Lagos, Nov. 15, 2023: Affiliates of the Nigerian Labour Congress (NLC) and Trade Union Congress of Nigeria (TUC) in Lagos State, on Tuesday complied with the directive of the two labour unions to embark on an indefinite nationwide strike.
The National Executive Council meeting of the labour unions, held on Nov. 13, 2023, in Abuja, had resolved to embark on the strike.
The decision was due to the alleged failure of the Federal Government to address issues affecting workers, such as the minimum wage, insecurity, corruption, and poor governance.
Also, both unions had made some demands, which the government had allegedly failed to address following the recent crisis in Imo that resulted in the alleged brutalisation of the NLC President, Mr Joe Ajaero, and other members of the labour unions.
Meanwhile, the government on Nov. 13, warned both unions against embarking on their planned strike action, saying it would amount to contempt of court.
The Attorney-General of the Federation and Minister of Justice, Mr Lateef Fagbemi, in a statement, said the government had obtained a restraining order from the National Industrial Court of Nigeria barring the unions from going ahead with the strike.
Meanwhile, the Secretary General, Nigeria Union of Railway Workers, Mr Segun Esan, said that the union was involved in the strike and no train was running as a result.
“In effect, therefore, all the workers of Nigerian Railway are duty-bound to join the nationwide strike action from zero-zero hour of Tuesday, 14th November, 2023 by staying back at home and away from their offices.
“All the offices, stations, workshops, and entire premises of the Corporation remain locked and inaccessible from zero-zero hour of Tuesday, 14th November, 2023, till otherwise directed by the Congress,” Esan said.
Also, the President, Association of Senior Staff of Banks, Insurance and Financial Institutions, Mr Oluwole Olusoji, said advice had been sent out to members on compliance.
He said that members had been advised to ensure the safeguard of lives and property from people who might be used to take undue advantage of the situation.
“We will continue to monitor the situation as it unfolds, “ Olusoji said.
Workers in the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) observed partial compliance to the directive by the organised labour to it members to embark on an indefinite nationwide strike.
The strike was called to press home their demands, especially the “non comment by the Federal Government over the brutalising of the NLC President, Joe Ajaero by security agents and hoodlums in Imo”.
It would be recalled that the NLC had declared a protest in Imo, led by Ajaero on Nov.1, over alleged anti- workers policies by the state government .
Ajaero was attacked and brutalised by security agents and hoodlums allegedly sent by the state government.
Gov. Hope Uzodimma of Imo and the Nigeria Police had refuted the allegation.
It also be recalled that the National Industrial Court had restrained organised labour from embarking on the planned nationwide strike.
The Federal Secretariat, workers were seen going about.
Also, at the Area one old Secretariat, workers were also seen going in and out of the place.
Commercial banks such as Guaranty, Union, First Bank , among other banks in Area 3 and 8 were opened for operation as some customers were seen going in and out of the place.
Some schools were open and lessons were on going.